Saturday, June 5, 2010

Why I Love Bluegrass

Thursday night I went to see the Watkins Family Hour at the Largo for the second time since I've been in Pasadena. Just as anticipated, the experience was heavenly. The Watkins siblings, Sarah and Sean, who make up two thirds of the neo-bluegrass group Nickel Creek, were joined on the stage by Crooked Still, among a few other of their "musical friends," as Sean refers to them on his web site. I just about died when Aoife O'Donovan of Crooked Still sang a cover of "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby" by Marvin Gaye, backed up by a guitar, banjo, fiddle, lap steel, and stand-up bass. Inarguably, it doesn't get any more awesome than that.

This show cemented for me what I love about bluegrass music. It's a genre that is completely unpretentious. There was no fancy lighting or costuming; everyone on stage was casual in both dress and demeanor. You got the sense that the Watkins had simply rounded up a few of their friends for a jam session. Bluegrass has no image to maintain or target audience to draw in; it's simply about playing good music and having a good time. As my friend noted, this down-to-earthness was reflected in the 300-member audience, the makeup of which ranged from underaged hipsters to couples in their 40s and 50s going out for a night on the town.

And of course, the key element that makes good bluegrass so enjoyable is the amount of skill and talent it requires. Both times I have seen the Watkins and friends play, I am left sitting in my seat for several minutes after the show with the unanswerable question "How did they DO that?" running through my mind. I mean, have YOU ever seen someone shred on the banjo?

Anyway, I guess I'll just wrap it up here by reiterating what a great show the Watkins and friends put on Thursday night. Sarah, your fiddling always blows me away, and Sean, I will never understand how your fingers move so quickly up and down the neck of your guitar. Thanks for the transcendental experience. Hope to do it again soon.




1 comment:

  1. Aoife sang "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby"!!!! Oh, would I have loved to hear that, since I'm a huge fan of Marvin, Sara, Sean and Crooked Still! You all had a special treat. I was just at their Kuumbwa show in Santa Cruz Friday night; the place was sold out and had a fantastic enthusiastic audience (which always adds to the fun). They mentioned the fun they had at the Largo on stage.

    I think you really got the essence of those wonderful musicians. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete